Paneer Butter Masala is a rich vegetarian gravy made with Indian cheese or paneer and a creamy sauce. This dish is tasty when served over Naan or Tandoori Roti.
250gm paneer (cubed)
2 medium tomatoes
1 green chili
1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup curd
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons refined oil
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 teaspoon jeera
1 tablespoon dhania powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 tablespoon of fresh or dried methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves)
2 bay leaves (tejpatta)
1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons chopped Green coriander ( dhania patta)
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Shallow-fry the paneer on low-medium heat until the paneer has a little golden- brown color. Set aside.
4. Add hing and cumin seeds.
5. After the cumin seeds crack, add the bay leaves, the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, methi and salt. Cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Add a little sugar.
6. Tomato mixture will start to leave the oil and will reduce to about half in quantity.
8. Add the paneer. Let it cook for a few minutes.
9. Add the garam masala and rest of the dhania patta.
10. Add rest of the butter and cover the pan.
Serve hot with Naan or Tandoori Roti.
This recipe is only a method – feel free to be creative and experiment!